Friday, June 26, 2009

My Worst Nightmare


This was in yesterday's Deseret News:

"Kimberly Warner was chatting on the phone and washing the red grapes she had just purchased from the Orem Costco on Monday afternoon when she spotted it: a big, black spider. 'I thought it was just a big, monster grape spider,' the Provo homemaker and mother of three said. Then Warner saw the hourglass shape on the spider's back." (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705312635,00.html.)

I bought red grapes at Costco last week. And I have arachnophobia. Just looking at pictures of spiders is enough to stop my heart from beating for a second. I sometimes hang a plastic spider on a web in my office during Halloween, and it looks so real that it scares ME every time I look at it even though I'm the one that put it up! Now I'll probably be checking my grapes every 5 minutes to make sure I have no black widows. No one said phobias aren't irrational.

3 comments:

  1. I use the vacuum to suck up the spiders in the garage every year. Then I get rid of the vacuum bag pronto. I don't mind a few spiders - just the ones that love my garage.
    Fall is spider season around here and you just have to love how beautiful their webs look festooning the shrubs and covered with dew - or mist or rain - or whatever the moisture of the day is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, when I get scared I try to think about Charlotte and her beautiful web. But only outside. Definitely NOT in the house or garage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ew, sick. Grapes freak me out anyway. they always have webs in them. yichh!

    ReplyDelete