Saturday, December 23, 2017

Christmas and Holiday Greetings 2017


Dear Family and Friends,

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

This year began when I literally slept away the entire New Year’s Day holiday as I recovered from my first trip to see my parents in Germany over last Christmas.  When I finally woke up I determined to never miss another day like that ever again.  I’m glad I kept that resolve because this year flew by.  If I had even blinked once I’m pretty sure I would have missed everything! J

2017 was pretty amazing.  I was able to travel twice more back to Europe to see my parents and visit my other European friends.  During these trips I felt especially fortunate and grateful to have been able to visit Paris; Bremen and Lรผbeck in northern Germany; and Berlin, Freiberg, and Dresden in the former east Germany, all for the first time.  My visits to each city were much too short, but I definitely learned as much as I could and gained a greater appreciation for the profound history of these cities.

In addition to my travels abroad, I of course had my obligatory annual trip to Disneyland (rough life).  I also had the great opportunity this past spring to help my sister and her family with their brand new baby girl as well as visit other family in Canada and Austin this past fall. After all of these travels and adventures I am more grateful than ever for my family and friends, including my supervisor who allowed me the time off and my office mates who helped with my work during my absences.  (And for those of you who may be wondering after all this travel, yes I still work! J)

While I have enjoyed all of these amazing opportunities this year, I have also had my share of challenges that at times felt like too much to bear.  I discovered that finding my way through each challenge required a change of heart in both my attitude and perspective.  Through these challenges I learned more than I could ever have imagined, including most importantly that the healing and strengthening powers of Jesus Christ’s Atonement are real, and for that I am most grateful for the opportunity at this Christmas time to honor Him and celebrate His birth.

I am most grateful for all of you, too, and wish you all peace and love in this season and in the New Year.

Love,
Susannah


February trip to Disneyland with this motley crew of sibs and nieces and nephews!
Despite my best efforts to avoid this, I turned 40 in March. I tried to put on a good face that day.
Brandenburger Tor (Gate) in Berlin, Ger. with Mom (April)
With Mom at East Side Gallery of Berlin Wall (April) 
With parents in a Paris Bistro (May)
I really don't think this needs a caption! May in Paris with parents
The Louvre with parents in May
Nearly 25-year dream come true to finally see this beautiful Canova sculpture of Cupid and Psyche in the Louvre (May)
Burg (Castle) Eltz in Germany (May)

Spending time with brand new niece in Indiana in May
Rafting on the Green River during July trip with our LDS ward youth to Flaming Gorge
Summit of Ben Lomond Peak in Utah with the Young Women from our LDS Stake (August) 
Work trip in my beloved DC in August
Chillin' at the SCERA pool in Orem, UT with nephew in August
Hiking in Banff (Alberta, Can.) in August
Riding Remington (my sister's horse) in Calgary, AB, Can. (September)
Freiberg, Ger. LDS Temple with parents in October
With Dad at top of Frauenkirche overlooking Dresden, Ger. in October
October day cruise on the Rhein River near Ruedesheim, Ger. 
Exploring Burg (Castle) Rheinstein in Germany (October)
Another dream come true to see this statue of the Town Musicians of Bremen in Bremen, Ger. (October)
Most huggable tree ever! Palmengarten in Frankfurt, Ger. in October.
Fun with niece and nephews in Austin, TX in November
December work meetings in Vegas with my friends from the office

8 comments:

  1. Amazing. Keep being amazing. Thanks for sharing. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angel! And thanks for all of your many kind emails and support. I'm so grateful for your friendship and love! I hope this has been a a great Christmas day for you! Love you!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great 2017 Sue, sorry I missed you in ATX ๐Ÿ˜ Merry Christmas! ๐ŸŽ…๐ŸŽ„๐Ÿคถ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! I was so sad to miss you in ATX, but I hope we'll see each other again sometime soon! Love you and Merry Christmas!!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you a lot, Suz. So happy you had a wonderful 2017. And in 2018 we're going to see each other - I feel it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali! Love you, too! And YES we will see each other in 2018! I'm sure of it! :)

      Delete
  5. And Happy New Year! (not sure I'm glad to see me in the photos. But cool.)

    ReplyDelete