Dear Family and Friends,
If I were to sum up this
year in one word it would be “TRAVEL.” I have literally traveled coast to coast, ocean
to ocean, and continent to continent. It’s no secret that I love to travel, but my adventures this past
year have been especially fun and meaningful with each experience giving me great
opportunities to connect with loved ones.
My year began with a
last minute escape from dirty air and sub-freezing temps in Salt Lake City to Oahu
to spend a week with my cousin Annmarie and her husband Ted and kids. This was my first time on Oahu,
and while it was quite a different experience from Maui a few years ago, it did
not disappoint. I was so grateful to finally see the WWII sites and memorials that remind us of the incredible sacrifice by many for our freedom.
 |
| The USS Bowfin, Pearl Harbor |
 |
| USS Arizona Memorial, Pearl Harbor |
 |
| USS Arizona Memorial, Pearl Harbor |
 |
| USS Missouri, Pearl Harbor |
 |
| Punchbowl Cemetery (National Cemetery of the Pacific) |
It’s not an
overstatement to say that spending some quality time at these sites was a life-changing experience for me, and I
wish that everyone could have a chance to do the same. Other adventures that
week included a hike up to the top of the Diamond Head crater, surf lessons
(and yes, I had 3 good rides over a 2 hour lesson time), an outing to the Dole
Plantation where we enjoyed that evil Dole Whip, a fun visit to the Polynesian
Cultural Center, a little bit of beach time, and lots of family visiting time,
which was wonderful.
 |
| Surf lessons on dry ground before hitting the water |
 |
| Boogie boarding with Ted on Military Beach |
 |
| Last picture with Annmarie before heading to the airport |
A month later the
majority of our huge family vacationed to southern California where we visited
museums, the beach, and of course DISNEYLAND!! We had a wonderful week
together.
 |
| My mom and sisters at the Getty Villa in Malibu |
 |
| Getty Villa |
 |
| Beach time! Near Malibu, with Amanda and Curtis and Rhys |
 |
| Christina leading our kids off to a tide pool |
 |
| James Stewart grave at Forest Lawn, Glendale |
 |
| California Screamin' with John |
 |
| Space Mountain (my fav!) with John, Mary, Afton, and Phoebe |
 |
| Radiator Springs Racers with Erin, Phoebe, Celia, Afton, and Miranda |
Dave and Karin and their kids couldn’t join us on this trip, so they went to Disneyland two weeks later, and
being the good aunt that I am, I just had to sacrifice a few more days at
Disneyland. Life is rough. Mom and Dad also being awesome grandparents came along on this trip, too, which was great!
 |
| Looking into Karin's beautiful eyes |
 |
| Grizzly River Rapids |
 |
| Our family (9 of us) filled the entire right side section of Hollywood Tower of Terror! |
 |
| Splash Mountain with Dave and Karin |
 |
| Final picture before heading home. Everyone feeling super happy! |
Both of these trips were
tons of fun as we spent important family time together and enjoyed good memories from past adventures here while creating many more.
In July I spent two
weeks in Charlottesville, Virginia for training on government procurement
contracts at the JAG University on UVA campus. I know it doesn't sound so exciting, but it was actually fantastic. I love Virginia so much, the
training was the best I’ve ever had, and I absolutely loved meeting so many
other government attorneys and spending those 2 weeks with them. Friends for life!
During the
weekend between our two weeks of training I was able to take a quick trip up to
Washington, DC to visit old favorites like the monuments and art gallery and
see new sites like President Lincoln's Cottage (which everyone who visits DC must go see) and the MLK Memorial.
 |
| Lincoln Cottage |
 |
| MLK Memorial |
I then headed up to Oakton, Virginia (just
outside DC) to enjoy the rest of the weekend with cousins before heading back
to Charlottesville.
Just two weeks after
returning from Virginia, I was on my way overseas with Mom and Dad to attend
the wedding of our dear friends in Switzerland, to see our other dear friends
Germany, and to visit some ancestral sites in Denmark – this was my first (but
hopefully not last) trip to Denmark, and it was amazing. It had been 20 years since I’d last been
on the European continent, a time gap I regretted, but was so grateful that the places
I had seen before were just as beautiful as I remembered and that I got to do a
lot of new things I’d never done before. We were warmly greeted by all of
our friends with hugs, kisses, and tears, and when it was time to leave we had
similar farewells with promises to see each other again soon. I, for one, am
not going to wait another 20 years to return. We had such a wonderful time
reconnecting with old friends and making new ones during our 12 days in Europe.
 |
| Esther and Erich's wedding in Switzerland, with Mom and Dad, and our new friends Tony and Lori |
 |
| Famous covered bridge in Luzern, Switzerland, with Mom |
 |
| On the ferry crossing the Baltic Sea to Denmark, with Dad |
 |
| Frederiksborg Slot (castle) in Hillerod, Denmark |
 |
| With Dziallas family in Hamburg, Germany |
 |
| Last picture with Dziallas family in Hamburg before flying home |
So even when I’m not
traveling, life is good. My work as an attorney for the Department of the
Interior continues to be fulfilling each day, and I have also been able to run
a lot this year without injury or rehab – Yay! – including completing 2 half
marathons (both in cold pouring rain).
 |
| Thanksgiving Point 1/2 Marathon, April 2014 |
 |
| Huntsville 1/2 Marathon, September 2014 |
I was released as the
Relief Society president in my LDS ward this past May after a little over 4
years of service. It was definitely bitter-sweet, but I am so grateful for the
privilege I had to serve in that position and with the women who served with me,
and I am likewise grateful for the wonderful women who now serve in those
leadership positions. Since July, my new assignment is to teach the 8 and 9
year olds in the Primary, which has been great for me, and hopefully for them,
too!
Finally, to end the year with a bang, I had my hair colored purple! (These pics are in the mirror, so they're backwards.)
As I reflect on this
year and all the wonderful times I have had to spend with family and friends and to meet new friends I feel so grateful for all of you, near and far. I am
grateful for this season and the opportunity to remember and celebrate the
birth of the Savior who has given us the hope that we will be family and
friends forever.
I think of you all often
and wish you all the best this holiday and in 2015!
Love and Peace,
Susannah
Your fun hair has cheered up my gloomy day! You just should have done it BEFORE getting released as RSP. Love Stacia
ReplyDeleteSue! We need to connect for traveling fun! Wonderful blog recap. What a great year with lots of love and fun! Miss you!
ReplyDeleteYou live life fully and that is a gift in itself! Fun to see all your romping and live vicariously through your globetrotting (go Carmen Sandeigo!). If you are ever interested in the Midwest I can hook you up!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Nancy