Friday, December 14, 2012
Christmas Greetings 2012!
December 2012
Dear Family and Friends,
Merry Christmas!
This has been a year of many adventures, beginning in February with a fun family trip to the San Diego area, where I unfortunately got the worst cold ever but still enjoyed our family time together. In March I gave a presentation at a Utah water users workshop in St. George, and as part of that trip was able to visit with Dad the site of the Mountain Meadows Massacre. After reading Richard Turley’s book on the subject, this visit was stirring and more than a bit haunting, but I'm glad we made time to do this. In July/August I vacationed in NYC after an 11 year absence and had a great time there with friends and family, and I finally fulfilled a decade-long dream of seeing The Gershwins’ Porgy and Bess on Broadway (with amazing Audra McDonald and Norm Lewis in the lead roles). It was a stunning show and one I’ll never forget. Finally, my most recent travels took me to Austin, Texas for a fun-filled 6 day visit with Dave and Karin and family during which I relaxed, watched Doctor Who with the kids, went to Karin's Body Pump class, ate great food, and read a 500 page book. It doesn't get much better than that!
This has also been a year of comings and goings in our family with Grandma Thomas passing away in August just days before her 90th birthday followed by Grandpa Thomas almost 3 months to the day after at 96 years old. Eleven days after Grandma died we joyfully welcomed my nephew Rhys Thomas Ashton into the family. These are certainly tender and sad and happy times, but I mostly just feel overwhelmingly grateful for the love we share in our family and among friends.
And now as 2012 draws to a close, I would like to share a video (with lyrics below) featuring David Bowie and Bing Crosby that aired just a few months before Bing died. It includes one of my favorite carols (Little Drummer Boy) and has a beautiful message of peace and hope.
Peace on Earth, can it be
Years from now, perhaps we'll see
See the day of glory
See the day, when men of good will
Live in peace, live in peace again
Peace on Earth, can it be
Every child must be made aware
Every child must be made to care
Care enough for his fellow man
To give all the love that he can
I pray my wish will come true
For my child and your child too
He'll see the day of glory
See the day when men of good will
Live in peace, live in peace again
Peace on Earth, can it be
Can it be
I believe it can be, and I am grateful for this season and the time to reflect on and celebrate the founder of peace and good will. I am also so grateful for all of you and wish you all the best in 2013.
Love and Peace,
Susannah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I've enjoyed this version of the Little Drummer Boy for years but had never seen it! Wow! A very thin Bing! Thanks for sharing this, Sue! Hopefully you will make a trip to Philly or DC this year ;) Much love!
ReplyDeleteMy dear friend, so good to hear how your year has been. It has been way too long since we have hung out. We must get together soon.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Susannah, for this lovely message and song. I'm happy to have shared some of the experiences you reported and many other times with you this past year. Thank you for your love and thoughtfulness, and for taking Dad and me along with you to concerts and plays and for travels together.
ReplyDeleteLove and blessings always,
Mom
Merry Christmas! you sure do live a full life! Nice to have seen you in some of our comings and goings too!
ReplyDeleteSHINE ON!