Monday, December 26, 2011

Happy Holidays! 2011

Dear family and friends:

I know this is a day late, but I hope you all had a nice and peaceful Christmas holiday yesterday. And actually, today is the official federal holiday, so maybe I'm just in time. :)

2011 has definitely been an eventful year. One of the most significant events for me was on January 3 when I walked boot free and crutch/scooter free for the first time following my ankle surgeries and rehab that began on November 4. After a few more months of physical therapy, by the end of March I was able to get back to a regular running schedule, and despite another setback that I'm still working through, in August I accomplished my goal to run my first half marathon race, which was an amazing experience after all my hard work this past year. I felt a lot of mixed emotions as I learned to walk and run again, but I mostly just felt a huge sense of gratitude. Not one day has gone by since January 3 that I haven't felt grateful to be able to walk and run--activities that I will never again take for granted.

Another significant event this year was the passing of my dear Grandpa Rasmussen. This was my first grandparent to pass away, so I'm not very experienced at this. It was so hard, but such a wonderful time as our entire immediate family and all but one cousin and 3 in-laws in our extended family were able to reunite and celebrate Grandpa's amazing 95 years. I miss him every day but am confident that we'll all be reunited someday.

The rest of this year has been marked with fun travels with family to Hawaii (first time!) and Disneyland (not the first time, haha), an awesome family reunion that Christina and I planned this year, a job I love with its variety of interesting challenges each day, my continued service as the Relief Society president in my LDS ward, and of course all the many great times I've spent with my wonderful friends and family.

And so, while 2011 has been a year of sorrows and joys, a bit of tragedy and lots of triumphs, one of the greatest lessons I've learned is that, as "Tiny Tim" sings in the Muppet Christmas Carol, "Life is full of sweet surprises/Everyday's a gift." I wish you all a wonderful 2012 and hope it is full of sweet surprises for all of you.

love and peace,

Susannah


Below are a few highlights of events of this past year:


On our beach at Makena Surf, Maui (still wearing ankle braces):
One of my best pics of the humpback whales from our beach:
Our last sunset from our lanai before heading home:
Disneyland (Hollywood Tower of Terror--our family is in the entire middle row and front left row--and Mickey's Fun Wheel):
My beloved Hawthorne in my backyard finally split in Nov. 2010, so out with the old...
...and in with the new. Crabapple that dad helped me plant this Summer:
Provo Freedom Run 5K, Provo Pioneer Day Classic 10K, and Provo Canyon Half Marathon:
Hike to Timp saddle in September:
A prank from some loving neighbors during rivalry week :)

2 comments:

  1. What a great prank! Awesome travels to warm places and a lot of races! Such a remarkable comeback! Happy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comeback indeed! No walking to 13 miles running is miraculous!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete